World Hypertension Day is May 17, a day devoted to raising awareness and the prevention of hypertension. The theme this year is What's Your Number.
Facts about hypertension:
- 9 in 10 Canadians will develop hypertension during their lifetime.
- 53% of Canadians over 60 have hypertension.
- 1 in 3 Canadians who have hypertension would have normal blood pressure if they consumed less sodium in their diets.
- 20 million physician visits annually as a result of hypertension.
- 85 million prescriptions per year are written for hypertension medication.
- An estimated 7.5 million Canadians have hypertension as of 2015.
- Of Canadians with high blood pressure 17% are unaware of their condition.
- Someone dies from a heart attack every 7 minutes in Canada.
Our friends at BIOS Medical show us how to take a reliable blood pressure reading at home.
Your local Super Thrifty Pharmacy carries a selection of BIOS Medical personal blood pressure monitors, or you can monitor your blood pressure free in-store with the PharmaSmart Blood Pressure Tracker.
Visit your local Super Thrifty Pharmacy now through July 3rd and enter to win a BIOS Medical Blood Pressure Monitor.